EVELYN'S GARDEN BOOK
Bray's Memoirs of Evelyn, vol. ii. p. 107.—"Amongst
Mr. E.'s papers was found this printed sketch of the
intended work above mentioned under the title of
In Three Books
Prtemissis pr<z mittendis, etc.
1. A garden derived and defined, with its distinction and
2. Of a gardener, and how he is to be qualified.
3. Of the principles and elements in generall.
4. Of the fire.
5. Of the aire and winde.
6. Of the water.
7. Of the earth.
8. Of the celestial influences, particularly the sun and
moon, and of the climates.
9. Of the four seasons.
10. Of the mould and soil of a garden.
11. Of the composts and stercoration.
12. Of the generation of plants.