FIG. XVI.—OAK LECTERN 15™ CENTURY
( Figdoi Collection )
In the eighteenth century tables had come into
much more general use, and many fine examples
are extant, but they do not come within the scope
of this article.
One word as to the lectern shown in our last
illustration, and which belongs to the Figdor
collection. It is beautiful in its simplicity, and
wonderfully well preserved, and reminds one or
those seen in old illuminations. Such desks are
very rare, because, though made of oak, they were
often removed from place to place, and so easily got
broken. The Evangelium open upon it was illu-
minated and written for a Count Sternberg’s family.
It afterwards came into the hands of the great Wallen-
stein, trom whose descendants one of the brothers
Figdor acquired it. A. S. Levetus,
HE NATIONAL COMPETITION
OF SCHOOLS OF ART, 1905.
The work of those students of art schools
throughout the country to whom medals or prizes'
have been awarded in this year’s National Competi-
tion has been on view as usual during July and
August in the Indian section of the South Ken-
sington Museum. Reduced to one small gallery,
the collection gains in compactness and accessi-
bility to the ordinary visitor, but loses something
in its range. It is much to be regretted that the
excellent practice of carrying out a design to its
issue in material, and showing something (at least)
of all its stages, from sketch to final execution,
has not been encouraged as fully as it should,
for the exhibits of this nature are comparatively
few in number. It may not be altogether easy to
draw the line between a display of design on the
one hand, and, on the other, what may practically
BANNER FOR CHURCH DESIGNED BY FRANCIS H. E.
OF S. BARNABAS, SANDERSON (BIRMINGHAM)
OXFORD EXECUTED BY THE WANTAGE
(Property of the Wantage Sisters)