Platner, Samuel Ball; Ashby, Thomas
A topographical dictionary of ancient Rome — Oxford: Univ. Press [u.a.], 1929

Page: 250
DOI Page: Citation link: 
https://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/platner1929/0306
License: Creative Commons - Attribution - ShareAlike Use / Order
0.5
1 cm
facsimile
Η

Divus Hadrianus templum, Hadrianeum (Not.) : a temple of the
deified Hadrian in the campus Martius, dedicated by Antoninus Pius in
145 a.d. (Hist. Aug. Pius 8 ; Verus 3 ; cf. also BC 1885, 92-93 and HJ 608,
n. 19). From its position in the list of Reg. (Reg. IX), it was probably
between the column of Marcus Aurelius and the thermae Alexandrinae,
and is to be identified with the ancient structure in the Piazza di Pietra
which is now the Bourse and was formerly called erroneously the basilica
or temple of Neptune (HJ 608-610 ; Lucas, Zur Geschichte d. Neptuns-
basilica in Rom, Berlin 1904. See Basilica Neptuni.
A part of the north-east side is still standing (Ill. 29) and consists of
eleven fluted columns of white marble with Corinthian capitals and a
richly decorated entablature. The columns are 15 metres in height
and 1.44 in diameter. The order is very like that of the temple of
Serapis (?) on the Quirinal (see Templum Solis Aureliani). The cornice
has been so badly restored as to appear now in three patterns. The
wall of the cella behind the columns is of peperino, and the original
marble lining has entirely disappeared. Celia and columns stand upon
a lofty stylobate till lately buried beneath the surface of the ground,
(for remains and excavations, see LS iii. 126; BC 1878, 10-27; 1883,
14-16 ; 1898, 40 ; NS 1879, 68, 267, 314 ; 1880, 228 ; 1883, 81 ; 1898,
163; DuP 121-123 ; HCh 485 ; YW 1926-7, 102).
The stylobate was adorned with reliefs, those beneath the columns
representing the provinces, and those in the intercolumnar spaces trophies
of victory. In all, sixteen statues of provinces and six trophies are in
existence, but they are in five different collections in Rome and Naples
(Jahrb. d. Inst. 1900, 1-42 ; S. Sculpt. 243-246, 388-392 ; SScR
237-241 ; JRS 1914, 5 ; Cons. 3 ff. ; PT 62). It is probable that the
temple was octostyle, peripteral, with fifteen columns on a side. If a
wide flight of steps occupied the whole front of the stylobate, there
would be space for thirty-six reliefs beneath the remaining columns
of the peristyle, the number of provinces in the time of Hadrian.
This temple was enclosed by a rectangular porticus, of which some
ruins have been found—namely, portions of a travertine pavement
4 metres below the present level of the soil, peperino blocks, a Corinthian
column of yellow marble, and various architectural fragments. It is
possible that this may be the Porticus Argonautarum (q.v. ; OJ 1912,
I33-I34).

250
loading ...