At the western end of the altar-court rose the temple of Zeus1
(fig. 423). An imposing stylobate, some 7 metres higher than the
level of the court, was mounted by means of a broad flight of steps.
The temple-platform, exclusive of the steps, measured 4770 metres
in width by 8775 metres in length. Round it stood a single row of
unfluted Corinthian columns. Ten of these were visible at either
end and nineteen down each of the long sides. Six of them on the
1 O. Puchstein in the Jahrb. d. kais. deutsch. arch. Inst. 1902 xvii. 91 ff., id. Fiihrer
durch die Ruinen von Ba'albek Berlin 1905 p. 21 f., O. Puchstein & T. von Liipke
Ba'albek Berlin 1910 pis. 14/;, 16, 17.