SHEIKH ABD EL-GURNA
HERMITAGE IN TOMB 1152
SECOND SEASON OF EXCAVATIONS, 2004
Archaeological work in February-March 2004 was conducted mainly in the central part of
the hermitage complex.1 Buildings B and C were explored, as well as the area between them,
the area south of C and the rubbish dump east and south of B. More of the tomb corridor
was cleared, directly beyond the A1-A3 units explored last year.
1 The mission headed by Mr. Tomasz Gorecki was composed of: Ms Iwona Anconiak, Ms Ewa Czyzewska, Ms Eliza
Szpakowska and Dr. Zbigniew E. Szafrahski, archaeologists; Mrs. Teodozja Rzeuska and Ms Mariola Orzechowska,
ceramologists, who studied the unstratified Pharaonic pottery from the fill in the tomb corridor; Ms Teresa Kaczor,
architect; Mr. Maciej Jawornicki, photographer. The SCA was represented by Mr. Gamal Mohammed Muawad from the
Islamic and Coptic Antiquities Inspectorate.