International studio — 39.1909/​1910(1910)

Page: XLIV
DOI issue: DOI article: DOI Page: Citation link: 
https://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/international_studio39/0322
License: Free access  - all rights reserved Use / Order

0.5
1 cm
facsimile
The Macomb Monument

~1

A D O L P H A .
A WEINMAN'S
f—X MONUMENT
1 V TO MAJOR-
GENERAL
ALEXANDER
MACOMB.

BY CLARA E. DYAR

The monument to Maj.-
Gen. Alexander Macomb,
unveiled in Detroit on Sep-
tember ii, 1908, stamps
the Michigan Society of the
Daughters of 1812 as pa-
triots in the artistic as well
as in the political sense.
No finer memorial than
that erected by Mr. Adolph
A. Weinman in honor of
the hero of the battle of
Plattsburg can be con-
ceived, when we consider
the amount of money to
which the sculptor was
limited.

At first sight one is im-
pressed by the consistent
military character of the
monument as a whole.
The main pedestal, simple
in design and ornamenta-
tion, rises from a pavement
of pebbles laid in cement,
and is flanked by three
smaller pedestals bearing
cannon of the period of
1812. Th e general plan of
the monument is that of a
circle, and the three gun
pedestals are connected at
the sides and rear by a low
parapet wall. In front of
the pedestal, and facing
south, are three low steps.
Above these steps we find
the name Macomb cut in
incised letters and framed
by two carved wreaths of
oak and laurel intertwined.

On the back of the ped-
estal is the inscription:

To Maj-Gen. Alexander statue of general Alexander macomb by a. a. weinman

Macomb, Commanding the Detroit, mich.

xltv
loading ...